Monday, December 5, 2011

Thursday December 1, 2011

 I did feel a change when I woke up yesterday morning.  I actually woke up at about 6 in the morning and couldn't fall back asleep.  I felt a little weaker yesterday and a little sick.  So yes Dad.  I did "Feel a disturbance in the Force."  When President Belliston called and told me last night I have to admit that I wasn't very heartbroken so I have to assume that the Spirit had spent the day preparing me for the news.  I think I may have only shed two or three tears last night. I'm going to keep this email short because I need to get out to work.  I think the work will keep my mind off things.


The following is some of the stuff I wrote for the funeral this morning.  Some of it I think of while I type this:
I don't have the greatest memory when it comes to things of the past, but what I remember about grandpa has always been special to me.
Fishing trips, camping, going for a drive, cutting a whiller to tan my hide. (No I didn't mean for that to rhyme)
Grandpa had a way with all of his posterity.  Making each of us feel special and loved and that we all held our own little place in his big heart.
I was blessed to be able to spend a considerable amount of time with him before my mission.  We went to a lot of doctors appointments together.  I'm still convinced that the State of Utah has a small building full of grandpa's blood.  I watched them prick him with enough needles.  We had lunch together on several occasions.  Usually after his weekly blood donations.  I know that he enjoyed our little outings.  I enjoyed them too.  He liked going to the Provo Tabernacle which is now being renovated as a temple.  I took him on rides to see a few different temples a few times.  We always enjoyed driving up and looking at temple grounds no matter what time of year.  I think he just liked getting out with someone from time to time.  I'll never forget one day I went to see him.  He was sitting in his chair and staring at one of the football games on TV with a really depressed look.  So I walked in and in the most enthusiastic (and least mischievous) voice I could muster said, "Grandpa!  I'm taking you over the Nebo Loop today."  The response, "My shoes are under the bed and I'll let you pick out my hat for me."
Grandpa was like most grandpa's.  He'd save the day.  He came to the rescue when my friends and I broke down in Rawlins Wyoming on the way to South Dakota and for those of you who have been through Rawlins you know that there is nothing there.  The biggest attraction is McDonalds.  He took Dal and I to the Castle Dell Pageant where the three of us gorged ourselves on lamb chops and Dal and I spent the rest of the night running around until we managed to find an old Cowboy to play the Harmonica for grandpa before it was time to go to bed. 


To think that having a Missionary out in the field meant that much to him.  I'll forever be in his debt.
Grandpa influenced and blessed so many different people in so many different ways.  I remember President Hales of the Spanish Fork West Stake Presidency telling me "Your grandpa was like a second dad to me"
The pinnacle moment of grandpa's involvement in my life was the night that I was set apart as a Missionary.  I hadn't seen grandpa stand for a lengthy period of time in a few years.  But that night when he rose to put his hand on my head to participate in setting me apart he did it.  He stood.  As tall, proud, and strong as I can ever remember him.  It was amazing to feel and see the Spirit work this small, but mighty miracle just for him.  I had always hear about grandpa being a man of great and mighty faith.  That night I was able to see it first hand.  "God is my strength and power; and he maketh my way perfect." (2 Sam 22:33)
Our Father in Heaven strengthened Grandpa enough to participate in setting me apart as a Missionary.  Now Grandpa has returned to him.  He's returned to his son.  He's returned to his sweet heart.  Now they can serve the couple Mission in the Spirit World just like all old couples should. (Hint hint) Thank you grandpa.  Thank you for your love, your kindness, and your example.  I love you grandpa.  I'll miss you.  Grandpa was a simple and straightforward man.  I can't put grandpa in anymore simple and straight forward words than these.

With my memory of Grandpa I leave my testimony of God's Plan of Salvation.  Death is not the end as some people would believe.  Its the next step in this grand adventure we know as life.  Grandpa will gain his body back.  It will perfect and whole.  Of this I bear testimony in the name of the Master and Savior.  Jesus Christ.  Amen.

Grandpa is "Feeding his sheep" now.

Love Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment