Monday, August 8, 2011

August 8, 2011



Okay.  Here's a photo.  That's all you get this time around because I still need to take lots more.  I should have some by next Monday since its Mormon Night at Camden Yards this Friday.
 
Questions first.  The tie thing is progressing slowly.  I got this tradition from Chase that when you get a new companion or on holidays you give them a tie.  It prevents a build up of very ugly ties.  Then by the end of your mission you have 1 ugly tie to 5 good ones.  Very intelligent.  However missionaries are still inclined to collect ties.  Lots of them.  Other than garments.  Its the only thing they change.  I don't have a whole lot yet.  Still to come.  Gabriel Brothers sells name brand ties for $4 a tie though.
 
On a plus note I've only paid about $40 on hair cuts throughout the course of my mission and am not likely to pay anymore for them either.  That's why you buy clippers.  Cut your own hair.  Reduce an expense.
 
This next week Elder Schwicht and I plan to make helmets out of carved out watermelons.  You know.  Just to do something fun for a change  Today we're going to Antietam Battle Ground.  We taught a crazy lady this week.  She was a minister from the Church of the Brethren.  She doesn't understand what the fullness of the everlasting gospel concept.  Then again she has early onset of dementia.  She asked me where I'm from four times.  I told her Utah, Kansas, South Dakota, and Ireland...in that order.  She also said that she spent a year in voluntary service in Malibu then changed her answer to Jamaica.
 
Its been pretty warm.  Some days we get about 100 and then Hagerstown gets hit by a storm or two.  I remember reading somewhere that the heat does that to the weather.  Lots of bike rides in the rain.
 
I've developed a liking for Chinese buffet and legit Mexican food.  We've found a couple of places that are awesome.  I like some vegetables.  I eat them for members just so they don't feel bad or get on my case about it.  That's usually the plan.  As soon as they ask once I go and get a double serving.  Word of Wisdom issues about eating vegetables.  I still repent over that one daily.
 
I need Peanut Butter Bars, Ugly Steak, and Zubs Pizza.  Anyway you can get me those?
 
I will get better at writing letters.  I promised myself this morning when I got out of bed that I would.  I did get a letter from a girl last week.  She's from Orem.  Her name is Shayna Penrod.  She's Elder Allen's friend from Karate.  Looking forward to writing her too.
 
So this week we were able to teach an unbaptized 13 year old daughter of a member.  She's enrolling in christian school this year and her aunt told her that its impossible for a Mormon to go to a christian school because we're not Christians.  So we went over and taught Joyce (13 year old's name) the restoration and that not only are we christian but that we're Christ's Church.  She accepted baptism for August 27th.  Hopefully she'll be able to follow through on that one.
 
We are very much Christian.  Many people claim that because we have an open cannon of scripture and that we don't accept the doctrine of the Trinity that we're not Christian.  This isn't the case.  God talks to his children and anything he tells us is part of scripture or revelation.  Whether recorded or not.  We can claim that we have other books.  If you compile every conference talk given we'd have several.  All are revelation from god.  Everything we do.  Every decision we make marks us as Christian.  But more than that it marks us as Saints in these Latter Days.  Are we Christian?  You bet your life on it.  I bear my testimony of these things in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.
 
"Feed my sheep..."
 
Elder Christofferson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment