Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday April 30, 2012

I've been thinking about Cameron and the other Missionaries in the family a lot lately. Having reflected on the phrase "Are you a Missionary or are you just doing Missionary Things?" I've looked back and done an evaluation. I've seen both stages in my Mission. Being a Missionary and just doing Missionary Things. Being a Missionary means standing as a witness of Jesus Christ and Proclaiming it to the world. Elder Bednar says "Missionaries are full time teachers..." I've come to love teaching. I don't know if I would want to do it for a living ever, but I've really enjoyed my time preaching the Gospel and teaching people how to recognize the Spirit and gain truth in their lives. Being a Missionary means more than just doing it for two years. Missionary service never ends. I've come to understand the importance of members finding people for the Missionaries to teach. I'm going to have to do more of it when I get home. I know that thats the way to teach and baptize people. The members have to do the finding. Not the Missionaries. Thinking about those things has made me realize that us "boys" in the family are Missionaries. A good Missionary isn't determined by the position you hold in the Mission or the Area you serve. I've been out for somewhere around sixteen months. I've never been a trainer, District Leader, or Zone Leader. I'll never be an Assistant to the President either. But I've been a Missionary serving in the Maryland Baltimore Mission. Thats the best thing I've done and the best thing I can be right now. I'll come home. Go to school. Marry in the temple. Have children. Then I'll be able to become something better. A husband and father. This has been the best thing I've ever done in my life. It'll become second though after finding a wife that'll have me for time and all eternity. Thats something I look forward to becoming and I can hardly wait to see the blessings from it.

Many blessings come from Missionary Service. President Thomas S. Monson said, "Missionary work is the lifeblood of the kingdom." Elder TiaTia in our mission said, "We give up our family for two years, so that the people we teach can have theirs for eternity." For those parents who may regret or miss a child that serve Missions. Stop it. We're out here because we know that someone needs us just as much as you love us. You'll get us back. A little more worn out than you sent us off, but thats okay. You get the chance to clean us up a little bit then send us off to terrorize college campuses and Singles Wards.
Lets see if I can recite this from memory. "Behold. I will send you Elijah the Prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord. And he will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children and the hearts of the children to the fathers, lest I smite the earth with a curse." I think I got it down. I memorized it once. The Sealing Keys. The most carefully guarded of all the ordinances and priesthood keys in all the church. They can only be conferred by President Monson or whomever of the twelve that he authorizes I'm told. Family history work and ordinances for the dead. They're of great value in the world today. Remembering the past and those who's name had once been forgotten or lost. Its a powerful Spirit and an imprtant ordinance. Did I get it right? Kadee is turning into quite the intelligent young lady. She'll be a spiritual giant by the time I get home.
I still wish I could go on trek.
I dont hear anything about the national news around here. I wish I did. Maybe I can find something about it on church news. Oh well. If it doesn't assist with my calling its isn't worth it.
We met Rico while we were walking. I wouldn't be surprised if he just wants a friend. Some people here just want or thrive off of that. I'll explain the prayers on the phone. They'll make more sense that way.
Anyways. I'm going to close this email. I don't have a lot of time left. Just know that I know without a doubt that this gospel is true. That it changes and improves lives. It allows us to find the peace and joy that we need for eternity. This church is true. Jesus is the Christ. The Living Son of God. I bear you this testimony is his name. Even Jesus Christ. Amen.
Elder Christofferson
"Feed my sheep..."

No comments:

Post a Comment