Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday November 5, 2012


There actually wasn't a lot of damage from Hurricane Sandy.  A couple of roads flooded and some trees knocked down, but nothing too serious.

We only got rain.
I'm not sure what the temperature was.  We weren't that cold.  We turned the heater on and warmed up the apartment in the case that the power knocked it out in the night.
The sun is shining now, but its cooling down.  I wish it wasn't.
There hasn't been much service we can render.  We're cutting up some trees on saturday though.
There isn't much you can do to help except continue praying for the recovery of those that got it the worst in Jersey and New York.

I love hearing conversion stories.  I've heard a lot while I've been out here.  They're so cool.  I think the best one I've heard has been Koko's.  I'll have to tell you that one when I get home, because its a long one.

By the way.  My old Mission President.  President Belliston is now in the Boise Idaho Temple Presidency.  I was doing back flips when I found out.  Okay.  Not really.  I probably would have landed on my head and come home with a spinal injury.

This week wasn't a very eventful week for us because of the Hurricane.  We mostly followed up with people about how they were doing.

I met a lady who isn't an active member of the church anymore.  She told us about her conversion and callings in the church.  Shortly after she joined she received a Stake calling and held one till she became a counselor in the Ward Primary Presidency.  We heard her testimony and about the way she used to prepare to teach.  The spirit was so strong as we sat there and listened.  She told us that when she moved into the area she was headed to church for the third or fourth time and pulled into the parking lot and then said to herself, "What're you doing?  Why are you even here?  Just leave."  She then made a decision that has changed her life.  She drove out of the parking lot and told herself that she was never going to return to church.  Since that day she's never set foot in any church anywhere in the world.  It was rough.  I knew exactly the way that I would address that thought with a less active member of the church.  I knew exactly what to say to her.  But I couldn't say it.  I just couldn't do anything.  My companion, the Branch President, and I walked out of that house feeling defeated.

As I reflected on that experience I realized that I can't worry about those who have or claim to have a testimony of the church.  I knew that applying what I've come to learn spirit to spirit is the most important.  Partaking of the sacrament, reading my scriptures, praying to my heavenly father, keeping the commandments of God.  I believe that strengthening myself first will bring about the ability to strengthen others around me.  But looking to solve everyone else's problems or what I think are their problems wont do any good at all.

I sincerely know that Jesus of Nazareth is the Savior of the world.  He is the light of the world as he so declared two thousand years ago.  I've read and listened to the words and I believe them.  I've had testimony born to me by the spirit.  And as a result, it has become my testimony.  "When thou art converted, strengthen they brethren."  I testify of the scriptures.  That they're true.  I testify of Prophets.  That they live.  I testify of our Father in heaven.  That I love him.  I testify of families.  They are ordained of God.  I love mine dearly.  I bear this testimony in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

"Feed my sheep..."

Elder Christofferson

No comments:

Post a Comment