Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Monday March 26, 2012

I don't have anything exciting to report yet except that we're going to start teaching a guy.  He wants to be baptized and apparently he's been to our services before. His name is Mark. He'll probably have to be interviewed by the First Presidency (Most likely by phone or video chat) in order for him to be baptized, but hey. The gospel is for everyone. "The whole need no physician" (Moroni 8:8) The ward is nice. We're having a tough time exciting them to missionary work. They seem to think of us as their personal butlers for EVERYTHING. Its a work in progress though. Everyone here works for the government so everything is secretive or they just don't like you. Its tough to work with sometimes.

But I want to close with something that my mind has been increasingly called to lately. It stems from two sources the 107th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants and the April 2008 General Conference talk by Jeffrey R Holland.

23 The atwelve traveling councilors are called to be the Twelve bApostles, or special cwitnesses of the name of Christ in all the world—thus differing from other officers in the church in the duties of their calling.

"Of the many privileges we have had in this historic conference, including participation in a solemn assembly in which we were able to stand and sustain you as prophet, seer, and revelator, I cannot help but feel that the most important privilege we have all had has been to witness personally the settling of the sacred, prophetic mantle upon your shoulders, almost as it were by the very hands of angels themselves. Those in attendance at last night’s general priesthood meeting and all who were present in the worldwide broadcast of this morning’s session have been eyewitness to this event."

I've thought a great deal about Prophets and Apostles lately and their calling. I'll start with the Quote by Elder Holland.

Because of time that I spent watching the Bible Stories at Leslie's house when I was a child I always had a unique fascination with Elijah (At the time it was because he carried a really big knife and seemed like he was a Warrior Prophet) and what he did. It wasn't till recently that I've come to understand his deep conviction and understanding of the Gospel. He also held and exercised the Sealing Keys. Towards the end of his life on earth though when he was with Elisha he was translated. As he ascended to heaven at the time of his translation his mantle fell back to the earth and settled on Elisha. This mantle was something that many people recognized when they looked at Elisha and they knew he was a Prophet. In history a mantle was a type of coat or jacket. Elder Holland talks about watching the Mantle of the Prophet fall on President Monson's shoulders. Strengthening his testimony of this great man. I didn't see a Mantle or a coat fall on President Monson's shoulders and nor do I think I ever will. But President Monson has always stuck out in my mind with the same sort of uniqueness as when I thought back to Elijah. A man who holds a deep conviction of the gospel, holds and exercises the Sealing Keys and all of the Keys of the Priesthood, and whose mission it is to help others "Come unto Christ and be perfected in him" (Moroni 10:32) This is something a Prophet does.

As for D&C 107:23. I continually have to believe that the Apostles really have seen Christ. When and where I don't know. I have to think the temple because the Temple is called "the Portal where heaven and earth connect". They know understand things that we don't. Simple men called to do extraordinary things in this life. The most extraordinary thing though is to be a Special Witness of Christ to the World.

I know that these men are apostles and prophets of God. They help us draw closer to our redeemer. They don't replace him by any means. They help us strengthen our testimony and faith in him. This is the structure he set up for his church to be built upon. Apostles and prophets. I testify that Jesus Christ lives and he calls ordinary men to do this work. I'm an ordinary person with ordinary difficulties sent to teach the grand and glorious gospel of Jesus Christ. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

"Feed my sheep..."

Elder Christofferson

No comments:

Post a Comment